While we do not supply the tubing, we can provide you with all the hints and tips to complete your Bullet Proof Steering™ Kit.
1. One method of creating a threaded tube is by purchasing tubing locally with the correct I.D. ready to tap to called "Tap Tube". To tap for a 3/4" thread the I.D. of the desired Tap Tube would need to be 11/16" at the inside diameter. All you need then is a 3/4"-16 RH and LH tap to thread the tube.
2. HOWEVER.... With our optional Threaded Tube End Insert Adapters, you can select from many different applicable tubing sizes and selections and simply have the threaded ends welded on either by yourself, or a welding specialist near you. TIG welding the adapters on to the tubing provides the best solution, while MIG (wire) welding them on is the most common method. Welding Chromemoly tubing requires special care during the welding procedure.
3. Our Threaded Tube End Insert Adapters, Rod ends and locking jam nuts add 4.400" to the overall center hole to center hole length of your tube when you finish it.
4. After measuring the exact center hole to center hole dimension you need, subtract a total of 4.400" from that measurement when cutting your tube. That will result in you achieving the exact center hole to center hole dimension you need when our threaded tube end insert adapters are welded in, and our rod ends are fully threaded into the tubing.
5. Tubing types: You can obtain tubing from many sources. DOM Tubing, or "Drawn Over Mandrel" is the most desirable and provides a consistent inside diameter and thickness throughout the length of the tubing. This is not necessary and Seamless Tubing is just as acceptable.
6. Tubing material: Mild steel works best for flexibility and resilience, as well as easy to weld. 1018 grade steel is the least desirable while 1020 being acceptable and 1024/1026 being the most desirable. 1042 is stronger but slightly less flexible. When making complete systems we prefer 520 SuperTuff DOM tubing which is as strong if not stronger than 4130 Chromoly but can be more expensive and difficult to obtain. 4130 Chromoly is the strongest but in many cases, overkill unless the price difference makes sense.
7. Tubing bends: If you need to bend your tubing to clear obstacles, differentials or correct joint angles on extreme lifts or high travel suspensions, simply get an inexpensive tubing bender from places like Harbor Freight for $70-$80 and still be far cheaper than purchasing a custom pre-bent bar which likely would not be exactly what you need anyway.
8. Tubing sources: You can obtain tubing from many local sources and mills as well as online and mail order.
9. Here are a few on-line options for steering and suspension tubing to complete your kit that you might find desirable. We do not work with these companies in anyway, but rather just providing this information for your convenience as a courtesy to our customers.
The following tubing options have been pre-selected from hundreds of possibilities for you based on compatibility when using our various weld in Tube End Adapters (which are shown in each selection) as well as desirability based on a range of sizes and prices. When you click on the suggested button it will take you directly to the manufacturer's page where you can order that directly for significant savings!